North queensland dating

The fortification at Kissing Point occupies part of a rocky headland separating Cleveland Bay and Rowes Bay at the northern end of The Strand in Townsville; while the Jezzine Barracks complex extends approximately ten hectares to its south-west.

Another war "scare" erupted in 1878 when Russian forces advanced on the capital of Turkey, a British ally, and again galvanised colonial governments in Australia regarding their strategic forward defence. 4 Battery, a small detachment of 40 men from the Queensland Volunteer Artillery Brigade was formed in Townsville in June.

It was not until January 1881 that Lieutenant-Colonel George Glendower Blaxland, the Commandant of the Queensland defence forces, was able to make his first inspection of this group.

It was suggested that a sandbag battery could be constructed upon the outbreak of war.

The defence systems in Queensland were deemed to be lacking in cohesion and discipline, and a necessary reorganisation was soon established under the Queensland Defence Act 1884.

wall/s - retaining, vista/s, parade ground/quadrangle/assembly ground, mounting block/stand, views from, machine gun mounting, magazine / explosives store, guns/weaponry/armament, lookout/observation platform, tunnel - military, casemate/s, drill ground/parade ground, gun emplacement, views to, objects (movable) - defence, ventilation shaft - military, store/s / storeroom / storehouse Kissing Point Fortification is a heritage-listed fortification at 38-40 Howitt Street, North Ward, City of Townsville, Queensland, Australia.

It was designed by Peter Scratchley and Major Edward Druitt and built from 1891 by A Mc Millan (Govt Foreman of Works c1890) and then from 1939 to 1941. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 5 February 2010.

Prior to the 1860s, defence of the Australian colonies had been solely the responsibility of the British government, Britain considering that its navy would provide the first line of defence in any threat to her colonial empire.

An investigation into colonial military expenditure in 1862 resulted in Britain demanding that the Australian colonies, by then self-governing, contribute toward the costs of maintaining Imperial garrisons on colonial soil, and encouraged them to provide for their own military infrastructure.

He also selected the site for a battery at Kissing Point.

As the year progressed a number of Volunteer Independent Rifle Companies were raised at Charters Towers, Townsville and Ravenswood.

The Great Northern railway built in the early 1880s to service these fields - a network that spread out to connect other inland centres to the busy port - was to fuel Townsville's growth in size and importance, allowing it to evolve into the northern centre of not only the mining industry but also those of pastoralism and sugar.

Tags: , ,